International Fellows Information

  Newcomers Information

These Items Must Be Completed Before Departing From Your Home Country. Security Cooperation Officer (SCO'S), please assist as needed.

These are very important administrative items you should complete before you leave your home country. The information below will help you and your family become established in the U.S.

1. OBTAIN a PASSPORT marked OFFICIAL or SERVICE (not a tourist passport).

If you already have a valid passport marked OFFICIAL, make sure it will not expire before the end of the scheduled training. NATO travel orders are not sufficient.

2. A NATO, A/1 or A/2 VISA is the normal type visa issued.

Officers’ passports must have an A1/A2 Visa for MULTIPLE ENTRY valid until the end of scheduled training. Make sure your documents are stamped with your admission date by a Customs Border Patrol officer when you arrive at your first port-of-entry in the United States. You may be issued a white card, called an I-94, by the customs people. Most ports scan your details into the electronic system and your I-94 can then be retrieved electronically once you get to Carlisle. The I-94 is required by for some operations such as obtaining a US driver’s license.

Family Members may receive a B/1 or B/2 Visa. This may create a problem later in the length of time that family members may stay in the U.S. To change a visa while in the U.S. is difficult and will likely not be able to happen. Please try to obtain an A/1 or A/2 Visa for all family members.

3. BE FINANCIALLY PREPARED with at least $6,500.00 available upon arrival.

You should immediately have at least $6,500.00 available to pay for the following:

Rent, 1st month and a security deposit equal to the 1st month's rent. This is a standard requirement prior to occupying any rental property.

Medical Insurance for your dependents. If required, you must have proof of qualifying medical insurance and it must be approved by the IF office before your family can come or be added to your ITO.

Automobile down payment/purchase. This includes automobile insurance, registration and other administrative costs.

Assorted incidentals. This could include furniture rental and first month's electrical bill.

IMPORTANT NOTE: It is also strongly recommended you have an international credit card upon your arrival in the U.S.

4. INSPECT YOUR ITO (Invitational Travel Orders) for accuracy.

The Invitational Travel Orders (ITO) that you receive from the MAAG, mission, or military attaché should contain your complete name. A minimum of 10 copies per Fellow is required. Pay particular attention to ensure that the ITO is complete. Ensure that all portions of the ITO are properly completed prior to departing. CHECK TO ENSURE ALL OF YOUR AUTHORIZED DEPENDENTS ARE LISTED ON YOUR ITO. Ensure you understand every block of the ITO and the information contained therein.


Civilian clothing is worn extensively both on and off duty. You will need complete summer and winter service uniforms, including a heavy overcoat and a raincoat. There are many occasions when you will need your Class A or dress uniform. Duty uniform with blouse or tunic will be worn on many occasions. One set of field uniform is required.

The academic dress policy is as follows:

Military Dress - The U.S. Army War College (USAWC) Chief of Staff and/or Dean of the School of Strategic Landpower, is responsible for designating the proper military dress for academic activities by annotation on the USAWC Weekly Schedule. All students assigned to the USAWC will be required to wear their appropriate service Class B uniform (i.e., military slacks and shirt with proper rank) for various events. Any authorized variation of the uniform may be worn (example, proper sweater, short sleeve shirt, long sleeve shirt and tie) anywhere in Root Hall, in Bliss Hall, and at luncheons held for visitors at the Letort View Community Center.

Civilian Dress - During normal class days, fellows may wear business attire, (i.e., coat and tie for men and equivalent dress for women), in lieu of the uniform, when uniform is not specified. Casual civilian attire, (i.e., slacks, sport shirt, and/or sweater for men and dress, skirt, slacks with top for women), may be worn for selected social activities.

6. TECHNOLOGY ACCESS and EQUIPMENT for International Fellows.

You will be given a technology assessment upon arrival for the purpose of:

Assessing your level of computer knowledge and helping you prepare for the residency program at the U.S. Army War College and

Providing data to refine the Automation for Executive Management Program (AEMP) to meet your needs by using the information from all International Fellows in scheduling computer classes and identifying resource requirements.

The U.S. Army War College (USAWC) has IBM-compatible Pentium Personal Computers (PC) available for student use. These computers are located in the seminar rooms, study rooms, and Computer Education Center. The standard software loaded on these machines is Windows Vista, Microsoft Office 13 (Word 13, PowerPoint 13), Outlook 13 and Internet Explorer.

Although basic computer training will be available in July and computer-based tutorials for additional computer proficiency are available throughout the academic year, you are strongly encouraged to obtain training opportunities on the above software packages before arriving.

You will be issued a new laptop soon after your arrival to facilitate your coursework. This PC will have the same Microsoft software that is used at the Army War College and can be used by you at your Carlisle home to complete your writing and presentation requirements. You will also be able to use the laptop to dial-in to the War College to access e-mail and the Internet.

International Military Students will be required to return some of the course materials and equipment (i.e. books and laptop), before departing from the USAWC.


Get an International Driver's Permit

Bring your Country Driver's License. An International Driver’s Permit is nothing more than an English translation of the information contained on your official driver’s license and MUST BE OBTAINED BEFORE COMING to the United States. If you have both, you may begin driving immediately anywhere in the U.S. The international driving permit normally expires in one year from the date of issue. If you will attend an English language course in Texas, or attend the USAWC IF Academic Preparation Course, you will be in the U.S. longer than one year – it is highly recommended that the IMS obtain a Texas or a Pennsylvania driver's license.

SPECIAL NOTE: International Driver's License Scams

Individuals or companies not authorized to issue International Driving Permits often sell fakes on websites, through unsolicited mail, and in person for prices ranging from $60-$400. International Driver’s License, these are worthless and if caught trying to use one in the U.S., you could face legal problems to include fines, arrest, imprisonment, and court appearances. Some of these marketers of International Driver’s Licenses falsely claim:

To authorize people to drive legally in the U.S. even if they do not possess a state issued licenses.

Can be issued if their state issued products have been suspended or revoked.

Can be used as a legal form of photo I.D. in the U.S.

Prepare your records and transcripts

Bring a certified copy of your college undergraduate degree and transcript in English. The USAWC does not offer nor has qualified personnel to translate official documents.

Know the Master's Degree Requirements

If you are planning to participate in the Master of Strategic Studies Program (MSS) you will need to accomplish the following:

Prior to arrival to Carlisle Barracks you must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) test. In order to enter the MSS Program, you must score an 83 (internet version). Make sure to include the institution code 8274 in the TOEFL registration mailing address.

You must bring with you proof of achievement of the country equivalent of a four-year education at a U.S. College or University (baccalaureate level). This is in the form of a certified university transcript it must be in English.

Translate records for your family members into the English

Documents for all members of the family who will reside in the United States (U.S.) should be translated into English. The Pennsylvania School System WILL NOTIN ENGLISH.

Gift Giving

You may wish to bring some small native gifts to exchange with seminar members, military sponsors, and civilian sponsors.


These pages, links and information are provided to assist you in your integration and attendance at the USAWC. If you need information or would like to make a comment, please contact the International Fellows Office via:

TELEPHONE: (717) 245-4830 / FAX: (717) 245-4617


Point of contact for this document is Mr. Emilio Montañez, DSN 242-3371, or commercial phone 717 245-3371. Fax is 717 245-4617 and the mailing address is 122 Forbes Avenue, Carlisle, PA 17013-5239. Email address is:

  Academic Preparation Course
  Resident Education Course
  Distance Education Course
  Biographical Information

You must ensure you bring an official version of your Officer Record Brief / Personnel Record that reflects the following types of information:

  1. Civilian Education
  2. Military Education/Training (to include any other foreign and US schools/training or education)
  3. Special Qualification Certification (e.g., Airborne/Parachute, Desert, Artic, Special Forces, Ranger, Jungle, Mountain, Aviation)
  4. Listing of Military Duty Assignments that include dates, position and organization
  5. List of any participation of Battle Campaigns, Peacekeeping, or conflicts to include name, dates, and location
  6. Instructor Experience
  7. Joint Staff Experience
  8. Other Languages (Speak/Write/Read Levels)
  9. Decorations and Awards
  10. Membership in Professional Societies (e.g., legal, engineering, etc.)
  11. Published Writings (Provide title, date and where published)
  12. Be prepared to list any dietary restrictions (food or drink)
  13. Sports participation
  14. Hobbies
  Medical Records

Your personal immunization records and those of your dependents should accompany you to Carlisle. Ensure immunization records are translated into English. Abbreviations are not acceptable; each immunization must be written in its entire wording.

Medical Insurance for Dependants

Defense Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA) requires medical insurance for accompanying family members. Minimum coverage in DSCA Memorandum 11-32 is defined as:

  1. Medical benefits policy of at least $400,000 per year.
  2. A deductible not to exceed $1,000 per year for the entire policy (not per person or per incident).
  3. Reparation of remains in the amount of at least $50,000, should a death occur in the US. NOTE: This would provide for the preparation and transportation of remains to home country.
  4. Medical evacuation in the amount of at least $250,000 in the event the insured must be returned to his/her home country due to a serious medical condition.
  5. Insurance must pay benefits to a DoD medical facility if appropriate. Note medical insurance can be purchased on-line; however, the proposed policy should not be purchased until it can be first approved by the IMSO at the USAWC. USAWC has a Medical Insurance Policy Review contract in place and the contractor will review the entire proposed policy to ensure it meets DSCA and local requirements.
  6. If a female spouse or female dependent at the age of majority is accompanying the IMS, policy must also include coverage for pregnancy to include post- natal care of the infant. If the policy does not provide for pregnancy coverage, all female dependents will be required to sign a Pregnancy Acknowledgement Form that states that should the female dependent become pregnant one of three options would be enforced: a.) Current Health Insurance covers all pregnancy costs; b.) Home country covers all pregnancy costs (ITO would need to be amended to reflect this change); c.) If dependent is or becomes pregnant following arrival in the U.S., and lack or lapse of health care coverage for pregnancy is discovered, the return of female spouse/dependent to home country is automatic.
  7. The IMS and their dependents while under sponsorship of security assistance or security cooperation education/training programs are not authorized to participate in U.S. Federal or State medical/dental or other community assisted aid programs nor will they be used as a means of health care coverage.
  8. The Insurance policy must be translated into English. The ITO must list the name of the company, a U.S. POC/ telephone number and an address where claims should be sent.
  9. If healthcare coverage is not obtained for dependents prior to departure of the IMS for U.S. education/training, dependents will not be authorized to accompany the IMS, and will not be authorized on the ITO. Dependents may be authorized to join the IMS after required medical coverage is obtained and the ITO is amended.
  10. The lack of health care coverage for the IMS or dependents at any time or for any reason during their stay in the U.S. is grounds for immediate removal of the IMS from the USAWC and return to home country.

Some Companies Who Offer DSCA Compliant Insurance (Prices vary)

Immunizations for School Aged Children

  1. Bring your children’s immunization records IN ENGLISH. Records must indicate the date(s) of the immunizations. (The local school nurses cannot accept statements such as “Fully Immunized”, even if signed or stamped by a doctor or by an official agency)
  2. In compliance with the Pennsylvania Department of Health regulations, ALL students from Kindergarten through Grade 12 MUST show proof of the following immunizations in order to attend school:
    • 4 doses of tetanus* (1 dose on or after the 4th birthday)
    • 4 doses of diphtheria* (1 dose on or after the 4th birthday)
    • 3 doses of polio - 2 doses of measles**
    • 2 doses of mumps**
    • 1 dose of rubella (German measles)**
    • 3 doses of hepatitis B
    • 2 doses of varicella (chickenpox) vaccine or history of disease
    • *Usually given as DTP or DtaP or DT or Td)
    • **Usually given as MMR - must be given after one year of age)

    If your child has had the chickenpox disease, he/she DOES NOT need to be immunized for varicella; however, we do need documentation of the date of illness. Please send a note to the school nurse with your child’s name, date of chickenpox disease (month and year), and your signature.

    In addition, children 11 years or older will need the following:

    • 1 dose of Tdap (if 5 years has elapsed since last tetanus immunization)
    • 1 dose of meningococcal conjugate vaccine (MCV)
  3. Pennsylvania School Health Law requires all children to have a physical exam upon original entry into school, (Kindergarten or 1st grade,) and in the 6th and 11th grades. Use the link below to print and complete this requirement with your family physician in English. If desired, the International Fellows office will assist you in scheduling an appointment for your child at the local military health care facility.

Examination of a Pupil of School Aged Children

(Please have your family physician complete the form in English.)

Information About Tuberculosis (TB) Testing for School Aged Children

All local school districts will require that testing for tuberculosis be done AFTER students come to the United States. The International Fellows office will assist you in getting the TB test at Dunham Clinic at Carlisle Barracks for your school aged children.

Dental Examinations

All students entering grades 1, 3, or 7 must have had a dental exam within the past year. Some dependents are not eligible for dental care at the local military dental clinic. If you cannot schedule an appointment for your child prior to arrival, the International Fellows office will assist you in finding a local dentist.

US Army War College POC for Medical Questions

Gretchen Morrison -

  Sponsorship Information

The International Fellow's Sponsorship Program consists of a team of Sponsors. Each IF will have a total of three (3) Sponsors. Two Sponsors will be assigned by the International Fellows Office, the third will be a seminar sponsor (US Student).

The two Sponsors assigned by the IF Program Office can be combinations of USAWC or Carlisle Barracks Staff, Faculty, Active military, Retired military, Department of the Army Civilians, or members of the local community. A Sponsor's primary role is to assist the Fellow and their family members during their year-long stay at Carlisle Barracks. IF Sponsors will work as a team and in conjunction with the IF Office with any administrative and/or logistical challenges while helping our IF Families to understand American Cultures and become integrated into the Carlisle area. It is our hope that through the Sponsorship Program, IF’s will have the opportunity to see a broader spectrum of American life by participating in social and cultural activities.

In addition to the two Sponsors, a fellow classmate will volunteer to be a Seminar Sponsor. Seminar Sponsors are assigned by the USAWC. Seminar Sponsors assist the IF in adjusting to the requirements and schedules of the U.S. Army War College’s classroom environment and schedule. The Seminar Sponsor is appointed to assist the Fellow in his daily academic responsibilities, requirements and studies and often a translator of the many acronyms used by the US Department of Defense.

The roles defined and the duties of the Sponsors often overlap. No Sponsor is not responsible for the academic success of IF Students. Nonetheless, this team of Sponsors, in conjunction with the IF Office, are responsible for the logistical and administrative arrangements necessary to make the Fellow's year in the United States professionally and personally rewarding.

If you would like to become a Sponsor, please fill out our form above. Also please view our Sponsor Guide for in depth information about our Sponsorship Program.

NOTE: Click HERE to access the Sponsor Application.

Please email the form to Ashlea Cordell-Lowe

  Links Of Interest
Back to top